Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

The Challenge

I have always fancied myself to be well read. I have always loved reading, I am never without a book, and I worked in a bookstore for 3 years where I had access to any book on the shelf.  I recently stumbled upon a book recently entitled 1001 Book You Must Read Before You Die edited by Peter Boxall, and I picked it up thinking I would surely have read a good portion of them. Nope, just 50. That's right, less that 5%. I was in utter disbelief. So I resolved to not only read some of the list, but to attempt to read each book on the list. This blog is the infant of that resolve for what is the use of challenge without also keeping a score. Overall, I am estimating that it will take me just under a decade to complete. My wife is not so optimistic. We'll see who is right.

The Challenge:
Read every book listed in any edition of  1001 Book You Must Read Before You Die. (Yep every edition. I thought about just doing the 2010 edition which is the one I own but just can't bear the thought of missing something)
The Rules:
I will give each book an honest attempt. I am not requiring myself to finish something that I just cannot stand. (This rule was put in place due to the inclusion of Main Street by Sinclair Lewis. A book that should be given to every insomniac out there to curb the use of sleeping pills)
The books may be read in any order.
I will document my thoughts on each book upon its completion here in this blog.
The Tools:
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die 2010 Edition
Arukiyomi's spreadsheet found at http://johnandsheena.co.uk/books/ (I got the full v4 edition for a modest donation)
My Velocity Micro Cruz E-reader (this is great because I can take a ton of books with me and a whole lot of them are free)

.





1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    I'm also doing this challenge! I'm really excited to meet other readers through blogging about it. It's been great fun so far. I'll be checking back to see your progress :)

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete